What if my sewer backs up?
We are on duty seven days a week, 24 hours a day. If you have a backup, call us at 619.667.1450 (during working hours) or call the Police Department's non-emergency number at 619.667.1400 (after hours).

We will dispatch a maintenance crew to your address to find out if the stoppage is in the City’s main or your private line (sewer lateral). If the sewer main is found to be clear, it is the responsibility of the property owner to call a licensed plumber or drain service cleaning to correct the problem. The property owner is responsible for maintaining adequate flow to and through the sewer lateral from the property structure to and into the City’s sewer main.

If the stoppage is in the City’s main, we’ll fix it as quickly as possible and keep you informed about what is being done.

Show All Answers

1. Are there fillable forms on the website?
2. Who do I call for non-emergency situations?
3. What if my sewer backs up?
4. Does the City provide sandbags?
5. Can we take our dog to the park?
6. How can I report a problem on my street?
7. Are Council meetings broadcast on television?
8. What is West Nile Virus?
9. How do I request a commendation or recognition from the Mayor or City Council?