Downtown Village Streetscape Improvement Project
The objective of the project is to revitalize and beautify the downtown area, to enhance its sense of place, to improve its status as a destination, and to solidify its identity as La Mesa’s city center. This objective will be accomplished through the replacement and refurbishment of existing pedestrian infrastructure, installation of new amenities, and enhancement of pedestrian linkages. The preliminary list of improvements includes the following:
concept drawing 1 / concept drawing 2 Photo Gallery
Concept Plans View
March 8, 2016 Letter sent to business and property owners
The Project grand opening took place on December 9, 2015 at the intersection of Palm Ave and La Mesa Blvd
Information on street trees
- March 2008 - The City Council authorized the allocation of $300,000 from the Downtown Parking Fund to prepare the Downtown Village Streetscape Improvement Program to revitalize public infrastructure in the downtown area.
- June 2008 - The City of La Mesa advertised a Request for Qualifications for the Downtown Village Streetscape Improvement Project.
- January 2009 - The City Council authorized a professional services agreement with RBF Consulting to provide design and engineering services for the project.
- April 20, 2009 - Public input workshop (workshop results - April 20, 2009)
- June 29, 2009 - Second public input workshop. 6:00 P.M. at the Community Center, 4975 Memorial Drive (workshop results)
- September 2009 - City Council Project Briefing.
- October 2009 - Ed Henning and Associates was hired to assist property and business owners to understand the financing mechanisms that may be available to them for developing a maintenance district. Mr. Henning will conduct outreach meetings with stakeholders and gather feedback. The City is providing the services of Mr. Henning in hopes of forging a lasting public-private partnership that will revitalize the Downtown Village and keep it attractive and vibrant well into the future.
- February 2010 - Final Concept Drawings (concept drawing 1 / concept drawing 2)
- September 2010 - City Council Briefing (council staff report)
- December 2011 - Scheduled completion of final construction drawings.
- February 2012 - Circulation of CEQA documents (notice of intent)
- June 2012 - City Council Update. (staff memo)
- September 2012 - Apply for additional grant funds for project construction.
- October 2012 - City Council Update (staff memo)
- December 2012 - City Council Update (staff memo)
- January 2013 - City Council Update (staff memo)
- November 2013 - City Council Update (council staff report)
- May 2014 - Award Construction Contract (construction award staff report)
- Construction Start Notification (start notice)
- July 7, 2014 - Start of construction
- December 2015 - Construction completed